Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 17: 7-8
Sometime ago, I was in the beautiful city of Abuja, Nigeria’s capital. It was middle of March of that year. When I alighted from a public transport at a junction called Berger on my way to Kubuwa, the heat of the sun was very intense and I felt its effect right on my head. This heat was capable of draining one not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually. Beloved, many Christians are under intense heat of discomfort either because of loss of job, broken family, relationships, divorce and separation spouse ; not to mention broken lives as a result of drugs and alcohol. So many families are under such intense heat. A user of Daily Strength Devotional, called me on 20/6/2016. She said, “Brother, I am a widow, nobody is helping me. My three sons want to kill me. They have refused to accept whatever I tell them. They are all involved in drugs and I am in serve pain!” Not too long ago, a parent was worried over the sudden change in behaviour of their sixteen year old son. He had become
mentally challenged as a result of involvement in drugs. His parents were in agony seeing their once intelligent and promising child unable to comprehend anything, let alone appreciate them as parents. Even when I tried to talk to him, nothing meaningful was gathered.
Beloved, consider the intense shame and pain that envelopes a family when they see their son or daughter in handcuffs, accused of cult activities by the Police. These are internal heats generated within and capable of disorganising an entire family. Vs. 7 —8 of our scriptural reference today says: “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD. And whose trust is in the LORD, for he will be like a tree planted by the water, that extends its roots by a stream. And will not fear when the heats comes; but its leaves will be green, and it will not be anxious in a year of drought. Nor cease to yield fruit.” Beloved in Christ, hear the good news: “There is a gushing stream; a fountain of living water available to all to refresh thirsty souls. This fountain is in no one else but the Lord Jesus Christ.” What is the intensity of your heat like? Is the heat drying up your physical, emotional and spiritual life? There is a gushing stream, a Fountain of living water. His name is Jesus the risen Lord. We shall continue tomorrow!
Song of Solomon. 2: 8-14 or Zeph. 3: 14-18a; Ps 33: 2-3. 11-12. 20-21 (R. 1a, 3a); Lk 1: 39-45
ST. PETER CANISIUS, P, DR
1. Take a worship song to invite the assistance of the Holy Spirit, “Come Holy Ghost Creator come . . . .”
2. What is the nature of “heat” confronting you (name them). Have them in mind; place them at the foot of the Cross of Jesus Christ.
3. Meditatively and seriously take these declarations: “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear. Though war breaks out against me, even then will I be confident. O Lord, the God who avenges, shine forth for You promised to rise up against my wicked foes. Lord avenge for me. They want to destroy me totally and take away my joy and peace. They afflict me (type of affliction), so Lord
stand up and fight for me for You are my refuge and fortress.”
4. Pray seriously for all travelling for the Christmas holidays.
5. Pray also for ability to participate in the 21 days Fasting and Prayer program starting Friday 6th January, 2017.
Exercise: Encourage someone with today’s reflection.
Memory Verse: Psalm 144:1