Scripture Reading: John 10:10
Let us start this first day of the month of July 2016 with advice from St. Clement: “We must hasten with all earnestness and readiness of mind to perfect every good work, labouring with cheerfulness, for even the Creator and Lord of all things rejoices in His own works.” In John 10:10, our Lord Jesus says, “The thief comes only in order to steal, kill and destroy, I have come in order that you might have life – life in all its fullness.” Jesus said that He came that you might have life in abundance. This abundance has nothing to do with what you possess, where you live, the kind of car you drive, or even who you are married to. The abundant life that the Lord introduces us to as we start the second half of this year is that which comes from within. It is the life you create with your own thoughts, words and actions. No one can know and experience the abundance, the fullness of life apart from in Christ Jesus and the indwelling presence of His life-giving Spirit. Hear St. Paul, “There is no condemnation now for those who live in union with Christ Jesus for the law of the Spirit which brings us life in union with Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death.” (Romans 8:1-2)
Beloved, alot of persons including Christians think that the abundant life promised us by our Lord Jesus Christ is principally about accumulating wealth, being influential, having many houses, many children, educational attainment, etc. Not at all! It is rather another kind of blessedness, the joy of being chosen by God to be one of His people. Jesus says in the Beatitudes, “Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the gentle for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the pure in heart, they shall see God. Blessed are the peace makers for they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when you are insulted and persecuted, and all kinds of evil are said against you falsely, on account of me. Rejoice and be glad for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” (Matthew 5:3 – 12)
Beloved, are these blessings proclaimed by our Lord, a recording of earthly possessions? Of course not! We shall continue tomorrow!
- Thank God for this first day of this new month of July 2016.
- In Psalm 1:1, the Scripture says, “Blessed are those who reject the advice of evil men, who do not follow the example of sinners”: O Lord, grant me the grace to avoid all forms of ungodly and sinful relationships and actions, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, grant me the grace to continually understand and appreciate your word that says, “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness . . . .” (Matt. 6:33), so that I can be pleasing to You.
- Lord, my sacrifice to You today is a broken spirit, a broken and humbled heart, O God, you will not spurn (Ps. 51:17) (Repeat it 7 times).
- Lord, I pray for the repentance of Christians and non-Christians still living in the power of Satan and therefore transgress your commandments at will.
Exercise: Meditate on the Beatitudes as Christ speaks to you through them.
Memory Verse: Matt. 5:16