Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 2:29
Eli was the High Priest but he had forgotten what it takes to be a priest and what the priesthood was all about. In our scripture reading of today, it was said that he and his sons were making themselves fat with the best of all the offerings of Israel. They were greedy and were only concerned about amassing wealth from what the people brought into the House of God. Eli was very heavy and obese. He had lost his sight and so had lost his vision. The Scripture says that he was lazy and that’s because he was fleshly and undisciplined. His sons were corrupt and immoral, and he failed in raising them. The bible says that their sins were great before the Lord (1 Samuel 2: 17). Eli failed to discipline his sons because he was also a mess spiritually. Eli was a mess and his family was a mess too. He was doing temple job while a lot of immorality was going on.
Eli took for granted the privileges God had given him. God said, “Did I not choose him out of all the tribes of Israel to be my priest, to offer upon my altar, to burn incense, and to wear an ephod before Me? And did I not give to the house of your father all the offerings of the children of Israel made by fire?” (1 Samuel 2:28). Eli did not do any evil thing per se. But, his offence was that he did not do ANYTHING. You may say that you don’t do evil, but WHAT DO YOU DO? Do you kick at the sacrifice and offerings of God as Eli did by disrespecting the things of God through your silence and inaction?
Beloved, stay alert. Watch and pray. Beware of laziness and slothfulness- they are silent destroyers. Avoid watching junk on TV and pressing your phone for hours on end; after a while, you may stumble upon something that will corrupt your soul. Watch against gluttony (overeating) and drunkenness (drinking too much alcohol) -Ecclesiastes 9:10
MASS: WHITE ST ANDREW DUNG LAC, P&COMPANIONS, M. (MEM0RIAL) Rev 14:14-19; Ps 96:10.11-12.13(R.13b); Accl Rev 2:10c; Gospel Lk 21:5-11
1. Father, I receive grace to sit up and shun every form of laziness and slothfulness. May I be up and doing in my Christian life in Jesus name
2. Holy Spirit, please wake me up from every kind of slumber. May I be awake and sober in the Name of Jesus the Lord.
3. Lord, I have the right to do anything but not everything is beneficial to me. May I not be mastered by anything in the Name of Jesus the Lord.
4. Pray for ministers especially Priests and Pastors.
5. Pray for the DSD Team that God may grant them the grace not to be lazy or slothful.
Exercise: when last did you fast and pray? Mortify your flesh!
Meditation: Ephesians 5:15-16