Scripture Reading: Psalm: 1: 2
On March 1, 2016, we reflected on the topic “My Guide, the Light for my path”. Here the Holy Spirit opened the eyes of our minds to understand that we should be the Bible that people read; by our love for God and neighbor, patience, forgiveness etc. Today, the Holy Spirit teaches how believers can keep the word of God deep inside them.
Our scriptural reference says, “But his delight is to the law of the LORD, and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” One way by which you can get the word of God deep in you is not only by delighting in it, but also meditating on it day and night. As the Psalmist said, the way to succeed in life is by meditating on God’s word and allowing it to sink into your subconscious mind. Beloved, wherever God impresses a word in your heart, endeavour to chew it in your heart through the day and unconsciously it becomes part of you.
In Psalm 119:9, the Scripture says, “How can a young man keep his life pure? By obeying your commands.” The second way by which God’s word can be deep inside of you is when the word convicts you of sin and cleanses you daily. How many believers keep their lives pure, resisting the immoral influences that characterize the ungodly environment in which we live? It is therefore necessary for believers to make irreversibly decisions or commitments to remain loyal or obedient to the word of God through life. In so doing, it is easy for the believer to commit God’s word to memory and build up a strong prayer life backed up with the unfailing words of the Scriptures. Martin Luther, a Monk was once asked why he spent so much time at the confessional; considering that as a Monk, he had no sins. In his response he said, “God’s word is the only detergent strong enough to get deep into my heart, soul, and spirit”. Beloved you must be totally committed and convinced of the power in the Word to release you from sin and uncleanliness. Finally, you must endeavour to put all you learnt from the word of God into practice. Dear child of God, you may be a professor in Religious Studies, but if you are not a professor in your love for God and neighbour, forgiveness, patience or joy of heart; you are simply unlearned. For a person full of the doctrines of the Church, but lacks love for neighbor is dangerous and is capable of leading people away from Christ.
Start today to study and meditate on God’s Word and then put it into practice and you will experience unimaginable growth in holiness of life and prayer.
- Thank God for today’s revelation.
- According to Proverbs 4:11, Lord teach me wisdom’s ways and lead me along the straight path pleasing to you in the name of Jesus Christ.
- According to your word in Prov. 14:33, give me an understanding heart that is filled with heavenly wisdom in Jesus name.
- Your word is powerful and it is light upon my path, I pray according to your word in 1 Corinthians 2:5, to teach me never to trust in human beings, but in the power of your word.
- Lord, tune my ears to the melodies that come from your word, so that I can live a fulfilled Christian life in Jesus name.
- According to Luke. 7:35, grant O Lord that the fruit of my life shows the presence of your word in me.
Exercise: Read, meditate, and write out lessons and prayers from the Bible study guide for today.
Memory Verse: Prov. 28:26.