Scripture reading: Romans 8:5-8
Let us conclude this month of June with this solemn advice from the Holy Spirit. Our scripture reading in verse 6 says, “For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.” (NKJV) The battle between the flesh and the spirit is in the mind. The Bible says, “As a man thinketh so is he.” (Prov. 23:7) I believe that no battle that has ever been fought on the surface of this earth can be compared to the battle that goes on in our minds constantly. The battle that is going on in our minds is a battle for the eternal destination of our souls. This battle can either take your soul to heaven or to hell. And so this battle of the mind is fiercer than the greatest battles ever fought by men. For example, many people died during World War II who made it to heaven because they were living their lives in union with Christ Jesus. Physical battle can only destroy your body and not your soul. But the battle between the flesh and the mind is a spiritual one that kills one’s spiritually and destroys the soul. Our minds must be guided if we want to be victorious at the end. Jesus said in Mark 7:20-23, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.” (NKJV)
The flesh works with what it can see, with sense of touch, and with the sense of perception. When you watch pornographic videos, either through the internet which is rampant in our world today, or through your DVD, or through other media players; or you read pornographic magazine and novels, you are gratifying the flesh! If you are the type that normally use immoral language, sometimes as a joke; you are gratifying the flesh! The flesh wants to find joy and satisfaction in fornication, adultery, masturbation, drunkenness, idolatry, witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, selfish ambition, factions, envy, lies etc. Galatians 5:17 says that, “what our human nature wants is opposed to what the Spirit wants, and what the Spirit wants is opposed to what our human nature wants.” Two of them are enemies and can never agree. The scriptural advice to win this battle is, “Let the Spirit lead you.” (Gal.5:18) The Bible also tells us in Galatians 5:25, “The Spirit has given us life; he must also control our lives.”
- My Father, all men have sinned and come short of your glory. I am sorry for the many times I had falling to gratify the flesh. For those times I had given room to the flesh to rule my mind with negative immoral thoughts and other acts of wickedness.
- Dear Holy Spirit, please purge me of every fleshly desires in my mind. Set my heart on fire with your Divine love.
- Lord, I ask that everything that is standing as obstacle in my relationship with you be removed in JESUS name Amen.
- Pray for those who don’t see the danger the flesh poses to their eternal life that God in His mercy will open their eyes to see.
- Pray that God will deliver all those whose ministries are being destroyed by the devil because they had falling to the power of the flesh.
Exercise: If the Holy Spirit has convicted you through today’s reflection, please you are advised to make a Sacramental confession (Recommended for Catholics)
Memory Verse: Romans 8:5-6