(Day 8 of the 9-day Pentecost Fasting and Prayers)
Scriptural Reading: 1 Timothy 4:14
Welcome to the eighth day of our Pentecost fasting and prayer novena. “Holy Spirit, let me be willing to be the clay in Your hands, ready to be molded as You desire. Do not allow me to neglect the charisms You have given me either through Baptism, Confirmation or through other means.” Fr. Jude O. Mbukanma O.P., narrated a story thus: “I know a young Dominican brother who was given the gift of ‘speaking in tongues’, while he was reciting the Psalms one morning. The incident was ludicrous for his brothers who thought that he had lost his mind, and they tried to ‘cool him down’ by pouring cold water on him.” Indeed, some gifts may be misunderstood by those in authority or around you, which may discourage you from using it, but the Holy Spirit is saying to you today “DO NOT NEGLECT THE GIFT THAT IS IN YOU, which was given to you through prophecy with the laying on of hands by the council of elders.” Gill’s exposition of the entire bible said thus: “What qualifies men for the work of the ministry is a gift from God: it is not of nature, nor is it mere natural abilities and capacity; nor is it any thing acquired, it is not human learning, or the knowledge of languages, arts, and sciences; nor is it a special saving grace; for a man may have all these, and yet not be apt to teach, or fit for the ministry; but it is a peculiar and distinct gift, it is a gift of interpreting the Scriptures, and of dispensing the mysteries of grace to the edification of others; which, when it meets in a man with all the rest before mentioned, makes him very considerable;…… it is a treasure put into earthen vessels, a good treasure in the heart, out of which a good minister of Christ brings forth many good things, things new and old, both for the delight and profit of men….. And this gift is by no means to be neglected; this talent should not be hidden in the earth, or wrapped up in a napkin; it should not lie dormant and useless, but should be stirred up, cultivated, and improved, as it may by reading, meditation, and prayer.” According to St. Cyril of Jerusalem, “The Holy Spirit uses the tongues of one man for wisdom, He illuminates the soul of another by prophecy, to another, He imparts the power of driving out devils, to another the gift of interpreting sacred scriptures, He strengthens the self-control of one man, teaches another the nature of alms giving, another to fast and mortify himself, another to despise the things of the body; He prepares another man for martyrdom.”
Beloved, I don’t know the condition of your spiritual gifts now; are you still using them for the growth of the church? The Holy Spirit, the giver of the gifts, asks you today to desire the gifts and use them for the edification and growth of the body of Christ. You shall be blessed and enjoy the peace of Christ if you do.
MASS: WHITE Acts 25:13b-21; Ps 103:1-2.11-12.19-20ab (R.19a); Accl. Jn 14:26; Jn 21:15-19
SS MARCELLINUS & PETER, B. (Opt Mem)
1. Sing with us: “Holy Ghost do it again, do it again in my life, open my eyes, to see Jesus seated upon the throne.”
2. Recite the Act of Contrition.
3. “Holy Spirit, wake me up from any form of spiritual sleep and help me to put on the armour of light in the name of Jesus.”
4. “Let the fire of revival fall upon the church in the name of Jesus.”
5. “Holy Spirit, let Your wind of revival blow mightily within me in the name of Jesus.”
6. “Lord, release Your tongue of fire upon my life and burn away all spiritual filthiness present within me.”
7. “Father, make me to hunger and thirst for righteousness, in the name of Jesus. Amen.”
8. “Lord, help me to be ready to do Your work without expecting any recognition from others in Jesus name.”
9. “O Lord, heal every area of backsliding in my spiritual life, in Jesus name.”
10. “Lord, help me to be willing to serve others rather than wanting to exercise authority in Jesus name.”
11. “Lord, by the power of the Holy Spirit, grant me understanding of the Scriptures in Jesus name.”
12. “Lord, let me be willing to be the clay in Your hands; ready to be molded as You desire in Jesus name.”
13. “Lord, give me victory over all carnality and help me to be in the center of Your will.”
Exercise: Go before the Blessed Sacrament and talk to JESUS on your thirst and hunger for the charisms in the church.
Meditation:2 Timothy 1:6