Scriptural Reading: Exodus 23:20-23
Let us start today’s devotional with the Story of Padre Pio and the Guardian Angel. “An Italian-American who lived in California sometimes entrusted his Guardian Angel to report some messages to Padre Pio. Once after confession, he asked Padre Pio if he really had received his messages from his Guardian Angel. Saint Pio asked him: “What do you think? Do you think I am hard of hearing?” After that Padre Pio repeated the messages that were sent him some days before by the man’s Guardian Angel.” Today’s reflection focuses on an aspect of Christianity often neglected by many believers. A Christian writer once said, “The anointing cannot replace the services of the angels.” We still need the help (services) of the angels if we must live victorious Christian lives. There are things which the anointing will not do; there are closed doors and stones which only the angels, acting in accordance with the will of God, can open and roll away. We need angelic security as we live in these evil days; we need to revive our devotions and fellowship with the angels. Today is the feast of the archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. There are untold millions of angels in heaven, all created as pure spirits, in continual praise and adoration of our God. Our faith tradition teaches us that God assigns to each of us a “guardian angel” to protect and guide us in our daily effort to grow in wisdom and grace. St. John Vianney said, “Our Guardian Angels are our most faithful friends, because they are with us day and night, always and everywhere. We ought often to invoke them. The Angels take great pleasure in helping us with our enterprises, when they are in accordance with God’s will.” Jesus confirmed this in Matthew 18:10: “Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.” (New Living Translation). Our scriptural reading today says, “See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him. If you listen carefully to what he says and do all that I say, I will be an enemy to your enemies and will oppose those who oppose you. My angel will go ahead of you and bring you into the land of the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites, and I will wipe them out.”
Dear friends, there are heights we cannot attain, there are destinies we cannot reach, there are blessings we cannot get, there are fights we cannot fight alone and win, there are messages we cannot get directly from God, there are stones we cannot roll away on our own, there are things we cannot do except by the help of the angels of God. We need to explore and implore, to utilize and honour the ministry of the angels. We must call on their ministration in our times of need, we must not worship them, but we must respect them as ministers from above sent to serve us who are heirs of salvation. St. Padre Pio concludes this reflection thus: “Do not forget this invisible companion, always present to listen to you, always ready to console you. O delicious intimacy! O blessed company! O if all men could understand this great gift that God, in His excess of love for man, assigned to us, this celestial spirit. Invoke your Guardian Angel that he will illuminate you and guide you. God has given him to you for this reason. Therefore use him! Send me Your Guardian Angel—he doesn’t have to pay a ticket for the train and he doesn’t wear out his shoes.”
- Take this prayer: “Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love has committed me here; ever this day be at my side; to light, to guard, to rule, to guide. In the name of Jesus. Amen.
- Father, just as you sent your angel to rescue Peter from the prison in Acts 12, release your angels to rescue me and my family members from every form of bondage in the name of Jesus.
- Father, you sent Archangel Michael to fight for Joshua, I invoke Archangel Michael, the commander of the Lord’s army, to take over my battle against the (mention them) power of darkness in the name of Jesus.
- Lord Jesus, when you where in Gethsemane, the angels ministered strength to you. I pray for myself and all those who are facing difficult times that the angels will sustain them in their faith commitment in Your name.
- Angel Gabriel brought the message of good news to Mary and Zachariah. I ask in the name of Jesus, that Angel Gabriel will release into my life and family, messages of joy and hope.
Exercise: Take novena prayers to the three archangels for the next nine days.
Memory Verse: Joshua 5:14.