DAY 2 OF 21 DAYS PROGRAMME
Scripture reading: Acts 3:19
Dear friends, as powerful and effective praying with fasting maybe, it is rendered ineffective by sin and unrepentance. It is important to repent and turn to God if you desire positive results from this 21-day fasting and prayer.
Our scriptural reading says, “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” It is assumed that as you have decided to partake in this 21-day fasting and prayer, you have decided to repent from your sins, you have decided to turn away from your sinfulness and evil deeds, and you have decided to seek God with all your heart. Repentance is the only condition necessary for forgiveness. There is no forgiveness without repentance. To repent means to return to Jesus, your first love. This 21-day fasting and prayer season is a time of refreshing and revival but the Lord will not refresh and revive us if we refuse to repent from our sins. You have to stop keeping that immoral relationship, you have to stop stealing, you have to stop gossiping and black mailing, and you have to stop fornication, adultery , masturbating, homosexuality lesbianism and all forms of sinful expressions of sex. You have to quit gay relationships and unions of any kind, you have to stop wearing immoral and immodest clothes, you have to stop watching an promoting pornography, promotion and sale of contraceptives and abortion. You have to stop holding grudges, you have to stop that oppression and revenge, you have to stop consulting demonic agents of any form, you have to repent from bearing that false witness, you have to let go that ungodly anger; it has lingered on for too long, you have to say no in words and action to drunkenness, you have to stop that addiction to drugs and smoking, you have to stop lying , you have to stop insulting and being disrespectful, selfishness and greed, pride, the list is endless.
Beloved you may not be involved in all of them but the Spirit says to you, ‘Do a thorough spiritual audit and you will find out areas were you may have transgressed the love of God . Then present same to Me with heartfelt penance and contrite heart and I shall wash you clean”. The scripture says, “….a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.” Psalms 66:18 says “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have Listened.” Sin is a barrier, let it go! As we fast from food, 0 beloved, let us also fast from sin. A user of Daily Strength Devotional once sent us a message thus “I used to preach in schools, hospitals and churches; everything was going well until my father passed away last year August and I blamed God for nothing. Then I started dropping everything and prayer: I committed all kinds of sin including (adultery, fornication, masturbating and vulgar language). I want to change. I am asking for God ’s forgiveness and the blood of Jesus and his Holy spirit), I can do anything to go back to Jesus to accept me again. I need His touch again. I need serious help please is there any chance left for me?”
To those who have backslidden from their relationship with Jesus, know this; Jesus is still waiting and is more willing to welcome you again. Give heaven a reason to rejoice over you today, take the decision to return to Jesus today, return to holiness of life; do not allow sin to hinder your prayers.
1. Father, I thank you for calling me to repentance in the name of Jesus. .
2. Father, I acknowledge that I have sinned against You I have through my actions repaid your Love for me with ingratitude.
I come before your merciful Throne of Grace and ask for forgiveness for
(mention them one by one and be sure that you truly repent of them).
Then take this prayers meditatively:
“0 my God! I am heartily sorry for having offended You, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend You, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.
3. Lord have mercy on us and wash us clean by the Blood of Jesus, in the name of Jesus Christ.
4. My past sins, be blotted out by the Blood of the Lamb in the name of Jesus.
5. “Lord Jesus, I invite you into my heart anew today, and I ask forgiveness for all of my sins. Jesus, thank you for dying or my sins and for forgiving me of them through Your shed Blood for me on the Cross. Please take away all the Sinful “old things” in my heart that defile me, and replace them with the “good things” that you desire to grow in my life. Please wash away all the sinful tendencies towards evil and replace them with a hunger and thirst for Your righteousness. I need your help, 0 Lord God, in living this new life in Christ. Please send Your Holy Spirit afresh into my life to help me, heal me, lead me and transform me. In the name of Jesus I pray,
6. Ask God to strengthen you to be able to start the fasting tomorrow.
Exercise: Catholics should endeavor to reconcile with God through the sacrament of confession.
Meditation: Proverbs 28: 13