Scripture Reading: Colossians 3:2
In June 16, 1833, while crossing the Mediterranean and meditating on the truth of eternity Blessed (Cardinal) John Newman composed this beautiful hymn; “Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom, lead thou me on; The night is dark, and I am far from home, lead thou me on; keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see, the distant scene, one step enough for me;”
It seems many professed Christians have forgotten about eternity. Many of us have forgotten that eternity is a step away, just a breath, at any moment we will find ourselves in eternity. There is a wide-spread decline in the consciousness of eternity among believers today. This lack of adequate consciousness only explains the reality that our minds are no longer fixed on the things that are above. We have become excessively possessed by the pleasures and treasures of the world that we have forgotten that our earthly existence is primarily a preparation for our eternity. Dear friend, are you still running the heavenly race? Do you still reflect on what will be the end of your life on earth? Where shall eternity meet you? Where are you going to spend your eternity? Have you fallen prey to the devil’s strategy? The treasures and glories of this world are powerful strategies used by the evil one. In Matthew 4:8-10, scripture says; “Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; and he said to him, All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me. Jesus said to him, ‘Get behind me’.”
Jesus’ response to the devil when he offered him the treasure and glories of this world, was “Get behind me Satan”. The devil was seeking to place the glory of this world in front of Jesus. But we must learn from Jesus that the best way to handle the treasures and glories of this world is to put them behind us. We must learn to put the treasures of this world and all its fading glories behind us, so that we can act in accordance with what Matthew 6:33 says; “But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” In John 6:27, Jesus says “Do not labour for food that perishes, but work for the food that endures for eternal life.” My dear friends in Christ let us treasure the bread that endures for eternity. What is it that have kept you away from Jesus the Bread of Life? Don’t you think that whatsoever keeps you away from the communion of Jesus the Bread of Life (Eucharist) can keep you away from His communion in heaven? Our daily reception of Jesus in the Eucharist worthily imprints the consciousness of eternity in our hearts and guarantees us eternal life. Then desire it and go for it whole heartedly
- Begin your pray with this chorus; “Eternal, eternal life (2X), I want to live eternal life God save my soul (2X). if
- Pray for the grace to be conscious of eternity and live for it while on earth.
- Ask God to remove that banner that keeps you away from Holy Communion or that makes you to receive it unworthily.
- Prayer for a Happy Death: Heavenly Father into your hands I commend my spirit. Be merciful to me at the hour of my death. Lord Jesus who died for me, grant me the grace to die with perfect love for you. Holy Spirit sanctify my soul always especially at the hour of my death. Holy Mary pray for me now and at the hour of my death. In Jesus Name-Amen.
- Pray for all members of the Daily Strength family that eternal life will be our portion
Exercise: Repent of your sins and reconcile with God through the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Memory Verse: Matthew 6:21