(Day 2 of Nine days Pentecost fasting and prayer)
Scripture Reading: 1 Kings 18:24
Let us begin our reflection with the Prayer to the Holy Spirit by St. Augustine:
“Breathe into me, Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Move in me, Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Attract my heart, Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy. Strengthen me, Holy Spirit that I may defend all that is holy. Protect me, Holy Spirit, that I may always be holy”.
Our scripture reference today recalls one of the most dramatic manifestations of God in the form of fire in the Old Testament. Elijah’s dramatic challenge grew out of his deep concern over the spiritual darkness that enveloped Israel the people of God. In a time like this when lukewarmness for the true God is on the increase, when there is crisis of faith, the fire of divine love in many hearts getting cold, going to church is becoming boring, many losing the joy of Christianity, lack of fruitfulness in the lives of many believers, when there is great lack of divine evidence in the preaching of many believers, when there is a great dryness in the heart of many professed believers, when God or the faith no longer make sense to an increasing number of once baptized and confirmed Christians. The grave need for the fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit cannot be overstressed. At a time like this when the church is passing through a period of crisis when the preaching of many ministers are lacking in power to set hearts on fire, when ethnicity and divisions have crept into the Church and when believers’ financial obligations have become more important to religious leaders of various hierarchies and ranks than the salvation of the believers’ souls, when it seems the Church is becoming more worldly, when many Christians are becoming more passive in their Christian commitments; such a time evidently reveals the extreme need for the FIRE of Pentecost. The absence of the Fire of Pentecost is responsible for the little impact believers are making in our world and government today. The first century Christians were able to convert their pagan world, because PENTECOST WAS A DAILY REALITY IN THEIR LIVES.
Hear Anthony de Mello, “The greatest need of Believers and the Church today is not new legislation, not new theology, not new structures, not new liturgies, not a new deal, but a new zeal; we need a fresh outpouring of the FIRE of Pentecost.” At a time, such as this, we need the Elijahs of our time to rise up and pray the LORD to “SEND THE FIRE”. Let us (members of the Daily Strength Family) together like the Apostles of old in obedience to Jesus earnestly and constantly pray during these nine days of Pentecost fasting and prayer to the Lord saying, “O LORD, SEND DOWN THE FIRE OF PENTECOST AGAIN IN OUR TIME”. Child of God, as we prepare for this mighty outpouring of the FIRE of Pentecost, we must surrender our lives totally to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Each one of us must invest a lot of time in earnest prayer of expectant faith to the Father to SEND THE FIRE. The Holy Spirit is given in answer to earnest prayer, so as we end today’s reflection, make this song your earnest prayer: “Send down fire, Holy Ghost fire, Send down fire again, Holy Ghost fire.”
- Begin your prayer with this song: “Holy Ghost Fire, Fire fall on me, Holy…….”
- Lord Jesus, purge me of all sinfulness with the fire of the Holy Ghost in the name of Jesus.
- Come Holy Spirit, and fill the hearts of your faithful, and kindle in them the fire of Your Divine Love. Send forth Your Spirit and they shall be created, and You shall renew the face of the earth in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, set me on fire with the fire of the Holy Ghost, in the name of Jesus
- Father your Spirit came and your Church was born, in wind and fire and words of power. Your Spirit came blowing fears aside, and in its place weak hearts were stronger. Your Spirit came as your word foretold, with dreams and signs, visions and wonders. Let your Spirit come on us as it was in the day of Pentecost, Renew our hearts which have grown cold with flames of Fire as on that Pentecost that this might be the Church that you desire in the name of Jesus
Exercise: Take the prayer of Daily Consecration to the Holy Spirit in Section A.
Memory verse: 2 Chronicles 7:1