Scripture Reading: Psalm 23:4
Let us start today’s devotional with this song written by Isaac Watts in 1719: “O God, Our help in ages past, Our hope for years to come, Our shelter from the stormy blast, And our eternal home.” One of the ways to overcoming your fears is to keep in mind that your God is alive. God who was your helper yesterday, is the same God who is sustaining you today and you should trust Him for tomorrow. Fear can be overcome, it can be conquered, it is controllable, and you can gain victory over that thing that frightens you. Scripture says in 1 John 5:4, “He that is of God overcomes.” In 1 John 4:4, the Bible says, “He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world.” Tell that problem, tell that sickness, tell that devil, tell that obstacle, tell that uncertainty, tell that imagination, tell that experiences, tell that reason for fear that your God is with you, in you, and in control, He will take care of you in the midst of all. Get rooted in the word of Deuteronomy 20:1 “When you go out to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, who brought you up from the land of Egypt, is with you.”
Dear friends, tell your fear with faith and courage that this is not the end. Nehemiah 2:20 says, “The God of heaven will arise and prosper you.” So the first step towards overcoming your fears is being rooted in God’s word. Secondly, is the power of positive imagination. Positive imagination helps to overcome fear. Get a positive understanding of who you are in Christ. You are precious to God, you are seated with Christ in the heavenly places, you are divinely selected and chosen, you are divinely secured, and nothing will harm you without God’s permission. Thirdly, the disposition to endure pain and suffering are necessary in order to overcome fear. We must realize that every process of growth involves pain. Like Daniel and Paul, we must be disposed to suffer; according to Acts 14:22, “Through much pain, we will enter the kingdom.” Sometimes the suffering, pain and hardship we fear, are but necessary if we must move to the next level. So we must develop the mind or disposition to endure them while they last, because through them God is processing miracles and greatness for us. Fourthly, we need faith, boldness and courage in order to overcome fear. You need courage and faith to walk in the valley of the shadow of death;
you need faith and courage to leave your Egypt; you need courage and faith to go to Calvary with Jesus; you need faith and courage to remain steadfast in holiness; you need faith and courage to defeat your enemies; you need faith and courage to entrust your future to God. Psalms 3:6 says, “I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about.” Why, because “I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (Psalms 16:8) I am always aware of the Lord’s presence; He is near and nothing can shake me.” Psalms 48:14 rounds up today’s reflection thus: “For such is God, Our God forever and ever; He will guide us until death.”
Gal 4: 22-24. 26-27. 31 —5: 1; Ps 113: 1b-2. 3-4. 5a and 6-7;(R.2);Accl Ps 95:7d.8a; Lk 11: 29-32
- In the name of Jesus, I refuse to fear, because God has not given me the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
- I bind the spirit of fear in my life, in the name of Jesus.
- I break every evil covenant that has brought fear into my life, in the name of Jesus.
- All negative doors that the spirit of fear opened in the past, be closed now, in the name of Jesus.
- Every disease, oppression and depression that came into my life as a result of fear, disappear now, in the name of Jesus.
- I refuse to be intimidated by any demonic nightmare, in the name of Jesus.
- Every enchantment and invocation of fear being made against me, I neutralize you and I command you to fail, in the name of Jesus.
- No weapon of Satan and his agents fashioned against me shall prosper, in the name of Jesus.
- My life is hidden with Christ in God; therefore nobody can kill me or harm me, in the name of Jesus.
Exercise: Meditate on Joshua 1:5-8
Memory Verse: Psalms 138:7