Scripture Reading: Joel 2:12-13
As we kick-start our 21 days fasting programme today, God invite us to return to him. Hear what God is telling us, “Even now, declares the LORD, ‘return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning,” (Verse 12, NIV). Jesus captures what it means to return to God in the parable of the prodigal son in Luke 15:1-24. In the parable the younger son has to return from the long distant journey, for it has been long when he distanced himself from his father. He represents those of us who in search for a ‘better life; of pleasure, freedom, doing things their own way, have attract misfortunes, calamities, pain and shame to themselves. The younger son symbolizes those of us who once enjoyed the fellowship of God, once zealous and on fire for the Lord, active in God’s house. God is saying to us ‘return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning’. God is still waiting to forgive and restore you to your former glory. “If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored” (Job 22:23).The older son although physically stayed close to the father, but his heart was not with his father, so he too has to return. He represents those of us who though are still, going to fellowship, to Masses, to church gatherings, those of us who still profess faith in God, but have refused to be transformed by the presence of God. They have failed to acquire the mind of Christ, internalize the love of God, work for peace and unity of God’s family and forgive those who hurt them. The older son, like some of us needs to return from the land of our anger, resentment, jealousies and ingratitude to the father’s fellowship of love, forgiveness and freedom.
Dear friends, whether we have squandered our lives in wild living or in smoldering resentment, God is saying; ‘return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning’. Sin must go for signs and wonders to flow. Purification comes before manifestation, holiness leads to honour.
- Begin your prayer with this Song: “All to Jesus I surrender, All to Him I freely give….”
- Prayer for Forgiveness: Forgive me my sins, O Lord, forgive me my sins; the sins of my youth, the sins of my age, the sins of my soul, the sins of my body; my idle sins, my serious voluntary sins; the sins I know, the sins I do not know. I know my sins have wounded Thy Tender Heart, O My Savior, let me be freed from the bonds of evil through the Passion of My Redeemer. Amen.
- Acceptance of Jesus: Lord Jesus to come into my life as my Lord and personal Saviour. I have resolve from this time hence forth to trust and love you, to follow you in obedience as my Lord and Saviour.
- Every writing of sin against my life and destiny be wiped off by the blood of Jesus
- Every stronghold of sin in my life be destroy by the fire of the Holy Ghost in the name of Jesus
- Lay your hand on your head and say; by the power in the blood of Jesus I destroy every satanic impulses to sin in me in the name of Jesus (3x)
- Father let every seed of sin planted in me be destroy by the fire of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus
- I break myself loose from every sinful habits of lying, alcoholism, fornication, homosexuality, fighting, adultery, gossiping, anger, pride, abortion, masturbation, indecent dressing, (mention the one that affect you)in the name of Jesus
- Oh Lord, purify me and make me ready for divine visitation during these 21 days programme in the name of Jesus. I receive the grace for holy life in the name of Jesus
- Confess your love for Jesus: Jesus I love you, all I have is yours, yours I am, and yours I want to be, do with me whatever you will (3x)
Exercise: Go to Sacrament of Reconciliation and pray with Psalm 51
Memory Verse: Psalm 66:18