Scripture Reading: John 8:31-42
Saint John Eudes says, “Our wish, our object, our chief preoccupation must be to form Jesus in ourselves, to make his spirit, his disposition live and reign there”. This was the situation with the three Hebrew men: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. They knew their Lord and were prepared to sacrifice their lives if only to return His friendship and love. To demonstrate their belief in God and love for Him, they responded to the directives of King Nebuchadnezzar thus: “King Nebuchadnezzar, we need not defend ourselves before you on this matter. If you order us to be thrown into the furnace, the God we serve will rescue us. But even if he won’t, we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden statue you have set up” (Daniel 3:16-18 CCB). Neither the jealous insinuations of the Chaldeans nor the ugly threats from King Nebuchadnezzar frightened the three Hebrews into compromising their faith and personal convictions; instead they gave boldly, and firmly, their allegiance to the one true God. They had hope and faith fixed on Him who was their refuge and strength (Ps. 46:1; 54:4). Beloved, these three Hebrew men also knew that the wrath of God against sin and disobedience is far worse than the human fiery furnace. Thus, as an expression of unconditional faith, complete trust, and total loyalty to God they said, “But if not…”.
Beloved in Christ, what is that Golden statue in your life that Satan and his agents are forcing you to bow to? What is that Golden Statue in your life that is denying you friendship with the Lord? What is that Golden statue that is making you live a life of disobedience and unfaithfulness to God? No wonder the Psalmist lamented thus: “Lord how they are increased that trouble me! Many are they that rise up against me. Many there are which say of my soul, ‘There is no help for him in God”(Psalm 3:1-2 KJV).Let us thank God as He pours down graces like rain upon as many as shall trust and love Him. You, having extra marital affairs, and do not have the capacity to disengage from it, tell it to the Lord. You, who are bound to the ancestral gods of your people, rise up today and denounce their influence over you in the name of Jesus. You who cannot afford to forgive or withstand the pressure to commit fornication remember Jesus on the Cross and ask him to save you from the path of hell and eternal death. Let’s pray!!
- Your God says in Matt. 4:4, “Man cannot live by bread alone…” O’ Lord, give me the needed spiritual strength to withstand the enemies of my soul.
- According to your word in Ps. 3:3, Lord, I beseech you to be my Shield; my Glory and the Lifter of my head (Take seriously).
- Arise, O’ Lord; save me, my God, from all that stands as the golden statue against my friendship with you (List them).
- In your name O’ Lord, I shall not be afraid of the ten thousand that have ganged up against my soul; for my confidence is in your power to save me.
- Pray for all your relations still in idol worship, that God may release them from that bondage.
- Pray for all youths who today are involved in cultism and all forms of demonic initiations; that God should intervene in their lives.
Exercise: Meditate on Matthew 4:4.
Memory Verse: Matthew 4:4