(Day 6 of the 9-day Pentecost Fasting and Prayers)
Scriptural Reading: Acts 2:38
Welcome to the sixth day of our Pentecost fasting and prayer novena. Thanks be to the Holy Spirit, who through the Second Vatican Council, has ushered the church into the “era of the Holy Spirit”. The church, through the teachings of the Second Vatican Council, undoubtedly returns to a more authentic tradition that is rooted in the Scripture as regards the charisms of the Holy Spirit to the faithful. Predominant in the pre-Second Vatican era, and still remnant in our days, are those who argue that the charisms of the Holy Spirit are extremely rare and exceptional in our days. For them, many of the charisms as demonstrated in the days of the Apostles have become less needful in the modern church (in our days), as such, have passed away with the apostolic age. But for Léon Joseph Cardinal Suenens: “The charisms are no peripheral (less important) or accidental phenomenon in the life of the church; on the contrary, they are, of vital importance for the building up of the mystical body.” The church teaches in the second paragraph of Lumen Gentium, no. 12 that: “It is not only through the sacraments and the ministries of the Church that the Holy Spirit sanctifies and leads the people of God and enriches it with virtues, but, allotting His gifts to everyone according as He will. He distributes special graces among the faithful of every rank. By these gifts, He makes them fit and ready to undertake the various tasks and offices which contribute toward the renewal and building up of the Church, according to the words of the Apostle: ‘The manifestation of the Spirit is given to everyone for profit’. These charisms, whether they be the more outstanding or the more simple and widely diffused, are to be received with thanksgiving and consolation for they are perfectly suited to and useful for the needs of the Church. Extraordinary gifts are not to be sought after, nor are the fruits of apostolic labor to be presumptuously expected from their use; but judgment as to their genuine and proper use belongs to those who are appointed leaders in the Church, to whose special competence it belongs, not indeed to extinguish the Spirit, but to test all things and hold fast to that which is good.”
Friends in Christ, what was theoretically debated and finally affirmed at the Second Vatican Council, has since become for many Catholics, a matter of personal experience for those who are dispose to the Holy Spirit. Through the consciousness of the charisms of the Holy Spirit in the life of believers, the Holy Spirit is no longer, as such, an abstract doctrine, but one whom believers are having dynamic living and loving experience of. In conclusion, let us in the remaining days of the Novena “…Eagerly desire spiritual gifts…” (1 Cor. 14:1), because they are absolutely necessary for a true Christian, if he/she must become like Jesus, who was endowed with the Holy Ghost and power.
MASS: WHITE Zeph 3:14-18a or Rom 12:9-16b; Ps 12:2-3.4bcde. 5-6 (R.6b); Accl.Lk 1:45; Lk 1:39-56 VISITATION OF THE B.V.M (FEAST
1. Sing with us: “It is raining all around me, I can feel it, the latter rain, ride on Jesus give us more rain, until we are wet and soaked with the latter rain.”
2. Repent and ask God for mercy and pardon.
3. “Holy Spirit, give me victory over all carnality and help my life to be a reflection of Your will in the name of Jesus.”
4. “Holy Spirit, open my understanding concerning the Scriptures in the name of Jesus.”
5. “Holy Spirit, release Your tongue of fire upon my life in the name of Jesus.”
6. “Holy Spirit, ignite my spiritual life in the name of Jesus.”
7. Every synagogue of Satan, set up against my spiritual life, be dismantled, in the name of Jesus (take seriously).
8. Pray spontaneously for the gifts of the Holy Spirit in the Amen: It is Done prayer booklet.
9. Take the prayer of “Spirit of the Living God” in the Amen: It is Done prayer booklet.
Exercise: Take the “Daily Consecration to the Holy Spirit” prayer in the Amen: It is Done prayer booklet.
Meditation: Romans 6:8-11